Saturday, November 04, 2006

Think about it?

You won't believe this video. Undercover investigators at a Butterball turkey plant in Arkansas caught workers stomping and sitting on live birds, ripping their legs off, and slamming them against walls and the sides of trucks. At the slaughterhouse, turkeys are hung upside-down by their weak and crippled legs before their heads are dragged through an electrified - stunning tank, which immobilizes the animals but does not kill them. Many birds dodge the tank and, therefore, are still conscious when their throats are slit. If the knife fails to properly slit the birds throats, they are scalded to death in scalding-hot defeathering tanks.

I know most of my readers might not care, but for the slim chance that it might change your mind on eating a turkey this year, I am posting it anyways.

Spread some holiday joy to turkeys by sparing their lives. Look in supermarkets and health-food stores or on the Internet for Tofurky, Unturkey, Tofu Turkey, Native Foods Holiday Wellington, and other widely available turkey alternatives. For more information on vegetarian holiday meals, call PETA toll-free at 1-888-VEG-FOOD or visit GoVeg.com.

Take the Thanksgiving pledge?

2 comments:

Dwain said...

That is some video. One I did not really need to see I think because I do like turkey. Not sure I could handle the other stuff so am in a fix now.

buffalodick said...

Apparently that was a day the Rabbi wasn't there making sure they were kosher. I've seen a turkey processing plant in Michigan, and none of that was going on.