Friday, March 31, 2006

Coming to a theater near you...

Has anyone noticed how many horror movies are out there lately? And by lately, I mean since last year. It used to be that for the most part the thrillers were saved for around October & late fall..

But for a while now they have been coming out with new ones constantly, and it just makes me wonder why. They must be taking in some money at the theater I guess, otherwise they wouldn't keep making them.

I don't have anything against horror movies, to each his own I suppose. They aren't my thing though, simply because I'm just too much of a sissy and gory things make me hide under the blankets and then give me nightmares.

Anyway, I do wonder why there is such a fascination with death and gore lately. I remember after 9/11 even the most mild violence was considered carefully before it left for the TV or the theaters. Americans had witnessed a true nightmare, complete with gore and tragic death, and it made them more sensitive to whether or not it was appropriate to glorify death. Obviously many have gotten past 9/11, and I never thought it should change things, but in some areas I always thought it would have been nice if the incident made people more aware of how they spend their time, and drown themselves in everything but life and reality. They say 9/11 woke up a sleeping country, but it looks to me as though we are starting to nod off again. I think if you want to see death and destruction all you have to do is read up on our war in Iraq, or refresh your mind of the dead lying in the streets after Hurricane Katrina, or think of the Tsunami victims...and the list goes on.

Maybe this all sounds overly critical, because after all, it's only entertainment. The target audience for these types of movies might just be for all the teens, cause it seems it's popular with them. So maybe it says nothing about our country and it's people, and I'm just reading too much into it.

It's happened before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya horror movies are really stupid...some of them are scary though because they remind us there are crazy people out there and i think that sometimes it just gives the crazies more ideas... I dont really watch them but they dont have much of a frightening affect on me... I do enjoy watching like really old horror movies like the blob and birds...they're soo funny.

Glenda said...

Now days they've gotten so good at special effects it's down right icky. hah. I can't stomach most of it.

Like Slither..man..I hate when those commercials come on. yuck.yuck.yuck.

Josh said...

I hate the ones that startle you. Does seem like there has been many more lately.